Sorry again about the non-existant blogging. A few items from the weekend plus Friday and Monday I didn’t get to –
- Embattled Milwaukee County Board chair Lee “Thug” Holloway has been exposed as a slumlord by the Journal Sentinel, complete with avoiding a court summons and having an arrest warrant for him. And THIS is the man that’s running the couny board? Let’s be thankful that we have Scott Walker as county exec, at least through the end of the year (when he heads to clean up the governor’s mansion).
- Single-game tickets for the Milwaukee Brewers (Hurray Beer!) went on sale Saturday with a “Take Back Miller Park” theme, and they went like hotcakes. It seems that Attanasio forgot the first rule of homerism last year; don’t invite more visiting-team fans than home-team fans, but he learned from his mistake.
- I missed the best revenge that Matt Kenseth could deliver from last week’s run-off by Tony “Stewie” Stewart and NA$¢AR’s non-punishment – he won the Auto Club 500 to head up to 3rd in the points. Meanwhile, Stewart done blew up his engine to finish 43rd. It just doesn’t get any better than that, and I guess I have to start paying attention again.
- Jim “Craps” Doyle (WEAC/Potawatomi-For Sale) sure seems to be quiet about promoting his “historic” school choice “deal” with Assembly Speaker John Gard (R-halfway out the door). All 4 ‘Rats on the Joint Finance Committee voted against it, but it’s going to the Legislature anyway thanks to 11 of 12 Pubbies voting for it.
- The show trial of former Assembly Speaker Scott Jensen (R-Brookfield) is going to the DPW’s plan. The same judge that refused to allow witnesses that would tend to help Jensen’s defense or allow Jensen to mount an “equal protection” defense – it seems that Brian Blanchard (D-Madistan) had even more goods on the Assembly ‘Rats but didn’t charge, for instance, former ‘Rat leader Shirley Krug (D-Milwaukee) – has limited the ability of Jensen’s attorneys to redirect witnesses. Expect Jensen to be a felon until this case is thrown out on appeal.
- We picked up another “NO!” vote on the bad-gas mandate, AB15 – Bob Wirch, ‘Rat out of Kenosha, where they also have the RFG requirement, listened to his constituents.
- The banner story in yesterday’s Journtinel, which had to have been written by Xoff, tries to tie both Walker and Mark Green to the show trial. They had to stretch a bit for Green and REALLY stretch for Walker. Never mind that Craps is for sale to the highest bidder.
- Milwaukee wants to leap on the smoking-ban-in-restaurants-and-bars bandwagon. It’s up for Council action on Thursday, and would ban smoking just about everywhere indoors (except homes not used as day-care centers and tobacco stores; and recently-added designated hotel/motel smoking rooms provided the rooms don’t make up more than 20% of the total number of rooms, family-owned businesses that do not have any non-family employees provided smoking takes place outside of public view, the stages of theaters if smoking is part of a particular production and a notice is in the program, and buildings that have a purification system that demonstrably reduces the exposure to that of second-hand smoke outside), as well as outside within 15 feet of a public entrance. But don’t accuse the anti-smoking Commies of trying Prohibition Version II. They’ll glower at you even as they plot their next move toward an outright ban on smoking indoors or outdoors.
Don’t forget, the Carnival of the Badger is here tomorrow night. Head here for how to get your submission in.